Thursday, April 21, 2011

One of "THOSE" Women


We all know about the physical changes that happen to a woman when she is going to have a baby, I mean I've bitched about it enough here already; but what about the mental changes; changes in perspective? Look, I'm not an idiot, I knew there would be a change in the way I think and how I view things but I am surprised of just how much change there has been. I now get excited over things I once found ridiculous like a Diaper Genie? I am so happy when I see a sale on diapers or anything else baby related...Do I need a baby beanie with little bear ears?...Hmmm...Yes, I think I do. There are however some things I still find ridiculous, like a baby wipe warmer so that a cold wipe doesn't touch your baby's ass...really? Now a days I'd much rather stay home, decorate, organize and clean rather then go out to a nice fancy chef tasting dinner (but maybe it's because I can't eat many of the things that may be served) But most shocking of all...I rather buy baby stuff rather then a new pair of shoes!! Has hell frozen over?

Now this may just be the excitement of having a baby and this way of thinking will change once born but I can't help but think it may not. Now you hear parents tell you the change is permanent. I mean after all you are responsible for this new little person now, you and your partner in a way become secondary. I understand this but does this mean you loose who you are or do you just become a different people? I've found I'm more empathetic to people and children (while also still judgy with others) and I am much more patient. Yes, I feel like there just isn't enough time in the day, but at the same time I feel I can do things at my own pace and that's OK. Don't rush a woman in her 3rd trimester people, the result could get ugly.

I've found myself easily enthralled researching things that would have seemed foreign to me just a mere 2 years ago. Things like Steam Cell and Blood Cord Collection, RESPs and Juvenile Life Insurance. As well as everyday things like the best stroller, car seat, high chair even diaper bag. Things that used to bring me such joy like finding a great deal on a purse or mid-range designer shoes has now been replaced with giddiness over finding a 40% off sale on sleepers and rompers, or even better finding a promotion for a discounted baby sling. My messy kitchen now drives me nuts and I find the need to have things tidy almost all the time, though I have been unsuccessful maintaining this so far. now, you may say this is just the nesting phase of the pregnancy. who knows, maybe. but if it keeps up DH will be one happy camper with a clean organized house to come home to every night.

Now, I have always wanted to have children, and never debated weather or not to have a family of my own; but I always said "I'm not going to be one of those woman". Come on, we've all done it; the ones who eat, breath and sleep baby. But now that I'm stepping into a pair of different shoes I realize there is no use fighting it, it's natural, becoming "one of those women" doesn't have to be a bad thing, it just makes me a different person then I was pre-baby, not different to be unrecognizable, just different with seeing the world through another prospective. I think it only becomes an issue when everything I do becomes baby centric to the point where I loose who I am. When I can't carry on a conversation with my non-mommy friends without bringing up baby this and baby that, when all my interests are out the window and replaced with baby only things. Not only do I think that's unhealthy I think it's kind of messed up. After all mommy is still an adult, with adult wants, interests and likes. So with that I say I'm going to embrace these changes and natural instincts, there is no need to fight nature after all, let's hope I don't get viewed as "one of those women."

No comments:

Post a Comment