Saturday, April 2, 2011

That's a Kick, Not Last Nights Spicy Korean Dinner!


When week 24 came along I started to get worried. All the books I had read said that I should be feeling some kicks by now. What was going on? Early on, about 16-28 weeks, I had started to feel what I would describe as "flutters" or "waves" around my belly. I had convinced myself early on that it was the baby moving. True or not, it helped me feel a bit more connected to the little bean. However, up until the first kicks I didn't really feel "fully" connected to the baby, I mean I could have been wrong, those flutters I had convinced myself to be movement could have just been last nights spicy Korean kimchi or gas, how was I supposed to know I've never felt a baby move inside of me before. Aside from the changes in my body, the ultrasounds and the occational flutter, I didn't really have a regular way to know that the baby was happy and developing well.I was pretty bummed.

It wasn't until 2 weeks later when I first felt a kick (or a jab or a hiccup, who knows) it came when I was at work, sitting at my desk. Suddenly, I noticed this mild thumping deep inside of me. Was this it? Was this my baby telling me it was happy and well in my growing belly? As the day went on I felt more thumps and as days passed actual moving around. I was super happy; I told DH that night and couldn't have been more excited. It was still too early for him to feel them but they were defiantly there, and I wasn't confusing them with gas or anything this time.

As days progressed the kicks, jabs and moving around got stronger. Now I'm happy to say I can feel them (and at times see them) from the outside and DH has felt a few too. I'm happy he can finally experience some of the cool things I've been going through. I now take a few moments out of my morning and before I go to bed to lay down and feel and enjoy the movements. I mean how often will I get to experienced this right? I am now just entering my 3rd trimester so I haven't yet experienced the crazy painful stuff I've heard can happen, like the baby kicking you in the ribs or you actually seeing a foot shaped bump on your tummy, but I think in a way I may actually enjoy it, no matter how unpleasant it may be.

I will say this though, it is kind of weird to look down at your belly and see it move around. Sort of freaky but also awesome at the same time. Like an alien has inhabited your body, and is trying to escape, but at the same time your OK with it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment