Friday, March 25, 2011

Congratulations, you're pregnant...or are you?



For a lot of women finding out they are expecting can be a mixed bag of emotions, I mean come on, you life could very well change based on what a stick soaked in pee will tell you. For me it was a just that. I went through a whole gambit of emotions. Dear Husband (DH) and I had just gotten married, we were still in the bliss of wedding day memories and planning out what was to come next in our lives. We had started trying for a baby months before, but nothing, I mean come on, it's not gonna happen just like that....right? Back from our wonderful little mini-Honeymoon getaway, we planned to take a bigger trip in about a year to Asia, and back from the nuptials of my good friend I had a thought. Hmm...I'm late. Okay, not a big deal wait a few more days and then pee on a stick. Let me tell you, those were the roughest few days. All I could think about was "am I?" or "aren't I?"(insert stress), "was this too soon" (insert panic and fear) or "how great would this be" (insert smile). Up and down I went, my over analyzing mind was going nuts. Finally I went to the drug store on my lunch break one day and there I stood in the front of the huge selection of pee sicks. Let me tell you, if you have never had to buy a pee stick before you have no idea. Those suckers are expensive! $20 a pop!? For a pee stick? Are you F'n kidding me? As I sat at work with the pee stick in my purse I felt a little tingle going on in my throat.

Hmm...was I coming down with something? In the back of my mind I knew something was different with my body. So I decided to go to the walk in clinic to get this potential cold looked at. While there I decided to recoup my $20 and maybe save it for another time just in case I wasn't pregnant (Yes, I'm this cheap). When I was being prepped to see the doctor the clinic nurse asked me if I have any questions. I told her I thought I may be pregnant. So she gave me a bottle to pee in and she did a test...for FREE! Negative (insert disappointment) "Better luck next time" she said. I will admit I was bummed. After all that thinking I had basically convinced myself that I was and all I needed was for the pee stick to confirm what I had been feeling for days. So with my prescription in hand I headed back to work. Well, there's always next month.

Another week passed and still nothing. The tickle in my throat was gone but something was still MIA. WTF! I was never this late. I waited a few more days and I brought out my $20 pee stick. I woke up early so I could do this in private. No need to let DH know if there was nothing to tell right? There is was 2 little pink lines. First Response had told me something the walk -in doctors office couldn't, something I had known deep down in side for weeks, I was indeed p regent (insert fear, panic, stress, happiness and jubilation). Off to my regular Doctors office I went. Come on, I had to do one more pee test just to be sure, one negative and one positive, I had to make sure and I wasn't gonna go spend another $20 for something my tax payer dollars entitled me to at the doctor's office.

My advise to those who are trying to get pregnant or think they may already be. Go with your gut, and pee tests are free at the doctor's office in Canada, thumbs up for subsidized healthcare. If your not, it may start to get expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment